Wade's World

Just leave it where Jesus flang it.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Gov. Janus

As you may or may not know, the California Senate voted to allow gay marriage:

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- The California Senate approved legislation Thursday that would legalize same-sex marriages, a vote that makes the chamber the first legislative body in the country to approve a gay marriage bill.

The 21-15 vote sets the stage for a showdown in the state Assembly, which narrowly rejected a gay marriage bill in June.

However, Gov. Schwarzenegger is apparently getting his veto pen ready:
Signaling a likely veto if it does pass, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's spokeswoman said he preferred to let judges sort out the legality of gay marriage; such a case is moving toward the state Supreme Court.

[snip]

Schwarzenegger's spokeswoman, Margita Thompson, said that although the governor supports domestic partnerships, he does not agree with legislatively allowing gay marriages.
For once I agree completely with Kevin Drum:
That's something you don't hear every day: the legislature should avoid legislating and instead let the judiciary legislate for them. Politics doesn't get much more gutless than that.
I don't agree with gay marriage either, but if my duly-elected legislature votes to grant such a privilege, oh well, too bad for me. I can either live with it, move, or get active on the political issue. Calling for a veto is absurd and clearly a pander to, frankly, voters like myself. While I don't live in California, if I did this sort of veto-wielding does not garner my vote and in fact repulses me. As Kevin said, it is simply "gutless."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home